LTEX provides offline grammar checking of various markup languages in Visual Studio Code using LanguageTool (LT). LTEX currently supports BibTEX, LATEX, Markdown, Org, reStructuredText, R Sweave, and XHTML documents.
The difference to regular spell checkers is that LTEX not only detects spelling errors, but also many grammar and stylistic errors such as:
This is an mistake.
The bananas is tasty.
We look forward to welcome you.
Are human beings any different than animals?
A classic use case of LTEX is checking scientific LATEX papers in VS Code, but why not check your next blog post, book chapter, or long e-mail before you send it to someone else?
Find more information and documentation about LTEX on the official website.
LTEX is a successor (since it's a fork) of the abandoned LanguageTool for Visual Studio Code extension by Adam Voss†.
- Supported markup languages: BibTEX, LATEX, Markdown, Org, reStructuredText, R Sweave, XHTML
- Comes with everything included, no need to install Java or LanguageTool
- Offline checking: Does not upload anything to the internet
- Supports over 20 languages: English, French, German, Dutch, Chinese, Russian, etc.
- Issue highlighting with hover description
- Replacement suggestions via quick fixes
- User dictionaries
- Multilingual support with babel commands or magic comments
- Possibility to use external LanguageTool servers
- Extensive documentation
- 64-bit operating system
- VS Code 1.52.0 or newer
- If you want to check documents written in a markup language that VS Code does not support out-of-the-box (e.g., LATEX), install an extension that provides support for that language (e.g., LaTeX Workshop Extension for VS Code) in addition to this extension.
How to Use
- Install the requirements listed above
- Install this extension (see download options)
- Reload the VS Code window if necessary
- Open a LATEX or a Markdown document, or open a new file and change the language mode to
Markdown (open the Command Palette and select
Change Language Mode)
- Wait until ltex-ls and Java have been found; if necessary, LTEX downloads both for you. Alternatively, you can choose offline installation.
- Grammar/spelling errors will be displayed! (if there are any)
Information & Documentation