Remote - Kubernetes
The Remote - Kubernetes extension uses Okteto to move your development environment to Kubernetes.
Kubernetes, Okteto and VS Code make a great development environment because you can:
- Launch reproducible development environment with all your tools in seconds.
- Automatically synchronize your code between local and remote environments.
- Eliminate integration issues by developing the same way code runs in production.
- Keep using your favorite tools.
- Forget about building images or redeploying containers to test your changes in Kubernetes.
The extension starts a development environment in your Kubernetes cluster by using https://github.com/okteto/okteto. Once the environment is ready, the extension prompts you to open it directly in VS Code using the Visual Studio Code Remote - SSH extension.
- VS Code 1.66 or newer.
- Deploy access to a Kubernetes cluster (you can use https://cloud.okteto.com/, Okteto's free managed Kubernetes service for developers).
- An OpenSSH compatible SSH client.
- Install VS Code and this extension.
- Install the Remote - SSH extension.
- Download and configure your
There is a complete tutorial here. The steps can be summarized as follows:
- Clone https://github.com/okteto/vscode-remote-go
- Start VS Code
- Run the
Okteto: Up command to launch your development environment in Kubernetes. When prompted, pick the
- After a few seconds, you'll be asked to select a host. Pick the
vscode-remote-go.okteto entry from the dialog to launch your remote VS Code instance.
- Develop directly in Kubernetes from VS Code!
Questions and Feedback
Got questions? Have feedback?
- See the documentation
- Request features, upvote existing issues or report a problem.
- Contribute to our documentation.
- Submit a pull request 😎
Stay in Touch
Join the conversation in Slack! If you don't already have a Kubernetes slack account, sign up here.
You can also reach out to @OktetoHQ on Twitter.
Remote - Kubernetes is licensed under the Apache 2.0 License.
This project adheres to the Contributor Covenant code of conduct. By participating, you are expected to uphold this code. Please report unacceptable behavior to firstname.lastname@example.org.