Visual Studio Code Kubernetes Tools extension allows you to work with your gardener projects, shoots, plants and seeds.
- List gardener projects
- List shoot clusters
- List plant clusters
- List backup infrastructure resources
- List backup bucket resources
- List backup entry resources
- List seed clusters
- Right click on landscape, shoot, plant or seed cluster to
Save Kubeconfig /
Merge into Kubeconfig
- Right click landscape or shoot to
Show In Dashboard
- Right click on landscape to
Create Project in gardener dashboard
- Right click on shoots list to
Create Shoot in gardener dashboard
- Gardenctl integration
- Right click on shoot or seed to get a
Shell to a node
- Right click on landscape, project, shoot or seed to
Target with gardenctl
- You have installed the Kubernetes Tools extension from the marketplace
- Kubeconfig to (virtual) garden cluster
- For gardener operators: Gardenctl for
- Install this extension from the Visual Studio Marketplace
- Configure the extension. See Extension Settings section below.
- In the
Sidebar, click on the Kubernetes icon. There should be an entry
Gardener under the
Install from VSIX
- Download .vsix file from latest release asset
- In VSCode, open the command palette:
Command Palette... -> type in
Extensions: Install from VSIX...
- Choose .vsix file downloaded in first step
This extension contributes the following settings:
vscode-gardener-tools.vscode-light-theme: should match your configured theme style. Default: true
vscode-gardener-tools.landscapes: Required configuration for garden landscapes
vscode-gardener-tools.landscapes.name: Name of the garden cluster
vscode-gardener-tools.landscapes.gardenName: Optional name of the corresponding (gardenctl) garden. Default: Name of the landscape
vscode-gardener-tools.landscapes.kubeconfigPath: Path to the kubeconfig of the garden cluster.
- How to get the kubeconfig as regular project member: In the gardener dashboard, go to the
Members section of your project and create a new service account. Afterwards you can download the kubeconfig of the service account.
vscode-gardener-tools.landscapes.dashboardUrl: Gardener dashboard URL,
vscode-gardener-tools.landscapes.projects: Optional list of projects (names) to be shown. However, you should specify this list if you do not have operator rights on the garden cluster or if you want to see only those projects.
Example config settings.json:
"projects": ["garden", "myproject"]
To change the
Gardener Kubernetes Tools settings:
- On Windows/Linux -
- On macOS -
Then search for
Gardener Kubernetes Tools or navigate to
User Settings >
Gardener Kubernetes Tools
No Projects are Listed
No projects are listed and you also see the entry
No permission to list projects. Specify the projects in the extension configuration.
Reason: Most likely you have downloaded the kubeconfig of a service account in the
Members section of your project in the gardener dashboard. This account does not have the permission to list projects.
Solution: Specify the list of projects that you want to see (and have access to) by setting the
projects property of your landscape in the Extension Settings.