The extension is available on both vsce,
and on ovsx.
This VSCode extension is a fork of the GitHub project sublime_autotools. It
includes syntax highlighting for Autoconf M4 (
Automake files (e.g.,
Makefile.am). This extension uses the vscode's own
Makefile syntax support for hghlighting makefile things in automake files. I
chose to fork the sublime project in order to have an easy
way of updating
vscode_autotools (which is only a matter of
Note that the sublime fork also has a Makefile2 (an alternate grammar file for
Makefiles) but the standard vscode's Makefile support works much better
(actually, the sublime's one is kind of buggy).
See [DEVELOPMENT.md] for more information on how to debug and improve
v0.2.0 (5 March 2023)
Since ptomato/sublime_autotools has moved to a YAML-based grammar and that most
of the bugs that were fixed in my fork have been ported back to
ptomato/sublime_autotools, I decided to revert to ptomato/sublime_autotools's
YAML grammar. This means that the grammar may change a bit. Please let me know
if it does.
- Add AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIRS provided by
automake which surprisingly
exists together with
autoconf's AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR. Change proposed
- (internal) add the
npm start -- --json feature that allows people more
familiar with json to generate tmLanguage from the json file instead of
the yaml one.
- Autoconf M4 (configure.ac): fix " not being properly escaped in a string.
Note for now, that variables won't (for some reason) be highlighted in
strings. I couldn't find why.
- Automake: fix comments not being highlighted when it starts at the beginning
of a line and is interleaved with a recipe.
- Automake grammar: fixed bug with
- Makefile2: re-include it into the extension. The Automake grammar is actually
working better using makefile2.
- Many small improvements to Makefile2 and Automake, e.g.,
- Moved from JSON grammar files to YAML.
- Use vscode's default Makefile syntax grammar file instead of the sublime's
one (Makefile2). This is because Makefile2 was buggy and vscode's one works
- Automake: fix a bug with assigments followed by a comment
- added 'npm start'for rebuilding the tmLanguage files from the JSON-tmLanguage
files. You may observe some changes in grammar because of this, please tell
me if it is the case!
- Fixed the VSCode-version of Makefile that was shadowed by Makefile2, thus
making it impossible to select the VSCode-provided Makefile highlighting.
- Fixed line comments (
# instead of
- Removed block comments (block comments are not available in makefiles)
- added an icon, because we all kind of like nice icons (Twitter, CC 3.0 BY)
- Initial release. I disabled the Makefile2 part that was developped in
the upstream project (sublime_autotools) because the Makefile support of
vscode seems better (but I didn't really dig much to understand why).
Note: For Autoconf M4 macros, the arguments may need to be highlighted in
several different ways; some are shell code, some are plain text, and a few
are C code. There are definitions for the builtin ones, but custom macros
may not be highlighted correctly.