Team Chat for VS Code
Collaborate with your team and chat bots without context switches. Supports Slack, Discord and VS Live Share.
- Install the extension from the VS Marketplace
- For Slack, run "Sign In with Slack" from the VS Code command palette
- For Discord, configure your token with instructions given here
- To chat with VS Live Share participants, start a collaboration session and click the
Chat status bar item. See more.
Are you a Slack workspace admin? Approve this app for your team.
- Quiet notifications: System notifications for chat can be painful, and this extension implements a subtle unread count instead.
- Rich formatting: Support for markdown code snippets, emojis, message reactions, and threads.
- Native look-and-feel: Use your dark theme and grid editor layout preferences with chat.
VS Live Share
Team Chat is a light-weight companion chat for VS Live Share, without any dependency on an existing backend like Slack or Discord.
To chat with your session peers, start a new session, and click the
Chat status bar item. Optionally, you can also run the
Chat with VS Live Share participants command.
The VS Live Share Extension Pack includes the VS Live Share and Team Chat extensions for an easy one-click installation.
with Slack and Discord
Optionally, you can also set up your Slack or Discord account to continuing using the same chat provider during a Live Share session.
With Slack/Discord, you can also start a new session with online team members easily. You can also use the slash commands
/live share and
/live end to start or end sessions in a chat window.
- Get started with contribution: See CONTRIBUTING to understand repo structure, building and testing.
- New chat providers: The implementation can be extended to support any chat provider, see PROVIDERS.
- Vision: Read the VISION doc to understand the motivation behind this extension and the roadmap ahead.