Format Files README
Format Files on VS Code Marketplace
Formats all files in the current workspace/selected folder/glob. Due to the limitations in VSCode API, this opens each file, runs formatting command, saves the file (other save actions are started as well, to support features such as
tslint.autoFixOnSave on typescript files), then closes it. The time to complete depends on the number of files and how large the files are.
- Open command pallette (Ctrl+Shift+P) & enter "Start Format Files: Workspace"
- Uses default exclude options
- Keybindable to 'formatFiles.start.workspaces' command
- Open command pallette (Ctrl+Shift+P) & enter "Start Format Files: From Glob"
- Prompts for a user defined glob pattern
- Prompts to use default exclude options or none
- Keybindable to 'formatFiles.start.fromGlob' command
Will prompt to confirms to start formatting, check Format Files in Output pane for list of files that will be formatted
A progress bar will appear on bottom right to indicate it's status
formatFiles.extensionsToInclude: [ default: '*' ]
comma delimted list of extensions to include, i.e. "ts,js,cp,cs", if this is not specified all extensions are included
formatFiles.excludePattern: [ default: '**/node_modules, **/.vscode, **/dist/**, **/.chrome']
GlobPattern of paths to exclude. Default excludePattern specifies node_modules and .vscode folder
Specifies that workspace globs specified in
files.exclude that are
true will be included in exclude glob
Each extension needs a formatter installed for it to work, or else the VSCode formatter will display an error that it does not have a formatter for the given extension.
Some recommended formatters:
- C# FixFormat - C#
- EditorConfig - *
- If your code actions on save are not run on some of your files, it may be due to VS Code's
editor.codeActionsOnSaveTimeout setting. If a file is large or the save code action should take longer than that configured setting, the action will be aborted. This does not affect formatters, only code actions on save. The default value is
750ms, adjust it to your liking.
Please open an issue if you would like to contribute or request an enhancement