Proactive AI Coding Assistant
Are you a vim or cursorless user frustrated that your shortcuts and extensions are not working when chatting with copilot?
This VSCode extension is a copilot that uses native notebook interface keeping all your ergonomic shortcuts and extensions working while chatting with ai.
Create a new chat
- Open a file in your project you want to ask questions about or modify.
Cmd+H or select Helpful Dev from the activity bar and click
New Chat Notebook.
- Ask a question about the current file, and hit
Cmd+Enter to send it.
- You can also include all open tabs in your question by including
@tabs in your question.
Debug runtime errors
This extension allows to debug runtime errors that appear in your debug console (not in the terminal). Next to all errors you will see a link you can click.
Once you click the link, the extension will generate relevant GitHub issue searches as well as try to address the issue with internal LLM knowledge.
Perform simple but tedious edits
While in a chat notebook, you can perform simple edits to your code. For example, you can rename a variable, extract a function, or move a block of code to a new file.
Simply have the relevant file opened (
@tabs is supported), and create a message describing your change mentioning
@task. For example, you can write
@task only keep error handling and function foo, create a helper function bar and move it to an adjacent file and hit
Cmd+Enter to send it.
He can stop execution at any point in time, and you can undo all changes by hitting
Cmd+z on Mac or
Ctrl+z on Windows. The changes are done in chunks, you undo each chunk separately.
[Beta] You can also kick off these edits in line within your code:
- Add a comment like this:
// @task split the function below into a helper and the main function, move helper to a new file
Run @task that will appear above that comment to kick off the task
Tell me about your coding pains in a 20 min call
Next features planned
- [ ] Support single file interface for chat alongside notebook interface. Will improve experience for VIM and Cursorless users further.
- [ ] Opt in instead of default overwriting notebook vscode settings that help unclutter the UI
- [ ] Integrate with custom VSCode GPT
- [ ] Allow simple copy pasting to ChatGPT when used in tandem with a chrome extension
How to install
Install from VSCode Marketplace