An Unofficial VS Code - Chat GPT extension
The most loved* ChatGPT extension in VS Code open-sourced
The project is built as a hobby project - With no affiliation to any organization
The functionality fully relies on OpenAI services without any affiliation to them
*Downloaded by ~500,000 developers with more than 100 5 star ratings within 3 months of release
The vscode-chatgpt project was stopped but it will be continued by GenieAI team via another extension.
You can try out this extension on marketplace: ChatGPT - Genie AI
- ➕ Use GPT-4, GPT-3.5, GPT3 or Codex models using your OpenAI API Key
- 📃 Get streaming answers to your prompts in sidebar conversation window
- 🔥 Stop the responses to save your tokens.
- 📝 Create files or fix your code with one click or with keyboard shortcuts.
- ➡️ Export all your conversation history at once in Markdown format.
- Automatic partial code response detection. Continues and combines automatically, when response is cut off.
- Ad-hoc prompt prefixes for you to customize what you are asking ChatGPT
- Edit and resend a previous prompt
- Copy, insert or create new file from the code, ChatGPT is suggesting right into your editor.
If you are developing completely another extension without forking this project, and release it to the public, make sure you follow License requirements.
This project is released under ISC License. Copyright notice and the respective permission notices must appear in all copies.
How to build and run
- Clone the repository to your local machine
- On the root directory, run
yarn command to install the dependencies listed in
- Within VS Code - run the project by simply hitting
How to install locally
vsce if you don't have it on your machine (The Visual Studio Code Extension Manager)
npm install --global vsce
- Follow the instructions and install manually.