Watch this video to get set up
--> LINUX AND WINDOWS USERS: READ THIS <---
You may run into an error that looks like this:
certificate has expired
This error is caused by the Certificate Authority from the OS not reaching VSC. You can read more about it here.
TO FIX: Go into VSC settings (Code > Preferences > Settings) and set
http.systemCertificates: false. Then restart VSC. It should work after this!
Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about this.
Leverage the Stenography Autopilot API to automatically comment your code files in VSC.
Current language support:
New languages are continously being added! Follow Stenography on Twitter to be kept up to date about new languages.
- Copy your API key using the
Copy API Key to Clipboard button from the Stenography Dashboard
- Input your API Key in the VSC extension:
Cmd + Shift + P ->
Set Stenography API Key
CodeLens Mode should run automatically, but can be turned on and off with
Toggle Stenography Code Lens command
These small gray lines with the text
<stenography autopilot /> will populate your code on the CodeLens layer. These CodeLenses will auto update whenever you save the document.
They will also save to a cache if the code hasn't changed allowing you to see the prior invocation without having to call it again.
Looking for feedback should this mode tell you where the codelens lines are being added? Contact me and let me know your thoughts!
- On a valid file, hit
ctrl(windows)/cmd(mac) + shift + p and run
Stenography Autopilot - Dry Run to see where the AI will comment your code. This won't cost any API invocations.
- Remove dry run comments by hitting undo twice (see Known Issues below)
- Run Stenography!
ctrl(windows)/cmd(mac) + shift + p and run
Stenography Autopilot. This will cost API invocations.
- To select all comments Stenography generated, use this regex pattern:
This extension contributes the following settings:
stenography.apiKey: [REQUIRED] set your Stenography API key in vsc settings (
stenography.autopilotSettings.zeroCol: documentation to be inserted on the first column, instead of where the code block starts
stenography.codeLensMode: Enable/disable codelens mode (enabled by default)
- Replacing current comments above code blocks. Currently Stenography does not replace/overwrite comments due to edge cases of overwriting code that people wrote manually. It will append the newest version one line above the code block (run dry-run to see where Stenography will comment)
- The empty lines above code blocks. The VSC editor is
thenable and in order to add explanations correctly, a new line has to be inserted before the code block comment is.
- The Codelens API call can cause slowdown if you have multiple tabs open. The reason for this is that ranges and commands are both resolved in the API call. Open bug bounty fix!
- Multiple save presses while one call is in flight will call the other as well. Current solution is to only hit save once while Stenography is in flight.
- Initial file loads will cause CodeLens to take a while to show up, and then you may need to lose context of file and go back to see CodeLens
- Extension Crash (may be due to cache or codelens) -- unsure (as of v1.1.7)
Initial release of Stenography Extension!
- Added HTML to list of supported languages
- Added a setting that allows documentation to be inserted on the first column, instead of where the code block starts
- Added TSX to list of supported languages
- More information boxes and error boxes
Stenography API Key command
- Added [experimental] code lens mode
- Adjusted comment blocks so that all start lines line up
- Ruby and Python single quote fix
- Codelens mode is live! Runs on new file and file save. Can be toggled with
Toggle Stenography Code Lens
- Click on CodeLens to see result, and press the
speak button to have Stenography describe function to you
- Fixed bug where cache gets stuck on max invocations. Can be cleared by toggling Codelens off and on again.
- Fixed escape regex bug when text was null
- cache is now more up to date, and less stale when
Reset Cache is called
Reset Cache now works lol
speak is gone
Write to File takes Steno response and commits it to file as a comment. Hint: use
zeroCol setting to move it to col zero
- debounced saving so only one Stenography can be in flight
- cache timeout for better UX when cache is slow
- added max comment width when sharing or committing to file
commentGenerator == idempotent comment generator for Stenography VSC
vue added to supported languages
- removed await from cache and lean on timeout
- added setting
stenography.generatedBy which allows for users to turn on and off the
- generated by stenography autopilot [ 🚗👩✈️ ] line
maxInvocation checker to run more freuently, and correctly unblock processing flag
- README update for
- Solidity added!
- JSX added!