Code for IBM i
Maintain your RPGLE, CL, COBOL, C/CPP on IBM i right from Visual Studio Code.
- Member browser and editor
- IFS Browser and editor
- Object browser
- Settings: Compilation, library list, etc,
- Error lists show up in Problems automatically
In order to use extension, the SSH Daemon must be started on IBM i.
(Licensed program 5733-SC1 provides SSH support. STRTCPSVR *SSHD starts the daemon.)
How to get running
Install from VS Code
You can find the extension in the VS Code Marketplace!
Run from local
- clone repo
- 'Run Extension' from vscode debug.
Quick Start Guide
How do I get syntax highlighting?
Install IBMi Languages first! Thank you @barrettotte.
Make a connection
- Press F1
- Find 'IBM i: Connect'
- Enter in your connection details in the window that opens
- Hit connect
Tip: next time, try using 'IBM i: Connect to previous'
Browse source members
- Connect to your system
- Find the member browser and hover your mouse over it until you see the folder with the plus icon
- Click the icon. A window will appear to add a path to a source physical file you'd like to browse (format:
- After you've entered your chosen source file, hit enter.
- Source file should appear in member browser.
You can click on a member to open and edit it. There is no member locking and the extension does not retain source dates.
How do I compile my source code?
- Edit your library list in the 'Code for IBM i' Settings for your current connection (connections get their own settings now!)
- Edit the Actions in JSON format in the 'Code for IBM i' Settings too. You can define what commands to use for the compilations.
- Open the source you want to compile
- Use Ctrl+E or Cmd+E to compile your source.
- If you have more than one compile option available to you for the type of source, it will prompt you
- If you are using
*EVENTF, it should automatically load the error listing in the Problems tab.
More detailed documentation is available here