Git Commit Whisperer
Git Commit Whisperer is a Visual Studio Code extension that helps you generate git commit messages using OpenAI's GPT-3 (ChatGPT).
WARNING This extension transmits your git diff to OpenAI-API. Using this extension on confidential repositories is not advised, as it could potentially breach your NDA.
- Automatically generate git commit messages based on the diff of your changes
- Customize commit types using emojis
- Configure custom prompts for OpenAI's GPT-3
- Quick selection of commit types
- An OpenAI API key is required to use this extension
Install the extension from the Visual Studio Code Marketplace.
- Make sure you have a valid OpenAI API key, which can be obtained here.
- Configure the extension with your OpenAI API key:
- Either enter it directly in the settings (
- Or, the extension will prompt you to enter your API key the first time you run the command
- Execute the
Generate Commit Message command from the Command Palette (
- If there are staged changes, select a commit type (or choose "Auto Detection") and let the extension generate a commit message for you.
- The generated commit message will be placed in the Source Control input box.
You can customize the behavior of the Git Commit Whisperer by modifying the following settings:
"generateCommitMessage.commitTypes": ["feat", "fix", "docs", "style", "refactor", "perf", "test", "build", "ci", "chore", "revert"],
"generateCommitMessage.commitMessagePrompt": "your custom prompt"
- The extension might not work properly if the Git diff is very large or if there are too many changes.
- The commit message length might exceed the recommended 50 characters in some cases.
If you have any suggestions or find any bugs, please open an issue on the GitHub repository.
This extension is licensed under the MIT License.