An extension for Visual Studio Code to preview Graphviz (DOT) files.
You can install this extension from the
Visual Studio Marketplace.
This extension requires Graphviz to be installed. Also, make sure that the extension can find
dot executable provided by Graphviz. Either make sure the directory containing the
dot executable exists in the
Path environment variable, or specify the path of the
dot executable with
Open the Command Palette (usually by
P), then select “Graphviz: Open Preview to the Side”.
||Mouse wheel up /
||Mouse wheel down /
|Toggle center position
|Toggle 100% scale
||Mouse double click /
||Mouse drag /
There are three scale modes: Fixed, Fit and Auto Fit.
- Fixed: The scale ratio does not change when the source changes or the window size changes.
- Fit: The graph is scaled to align to the border of the visible view area.
- Auto Fit: When the view area is big enough to contain a 100% sized graph, the graph will be set a scale ratio of
100%, otherwise the graph is scaled to fit into the view area.
To export the generated graph, click the “Export” button on the top right corner.
|Path to the
|Extra arguments passed to the
|The layout engine to use. Currently, only the
dot engine is supported.
Make sure the extension can find the
dot program. You can set
graphvizPreview.dotPath option to the path of the dot
executable, or make sure the directory containing the dot program is in your
PATH environment variable.
To set the
graphvizPreview.dotPath option, go to File → Preference → Settings.
- After saving an untitled file, the preview becomes invalid.
- When the scale ratio is too large, the graph may be at a wrong position.
- Exporting only works for documents that contains a single graph.
- Q: How do I change the layout engine?
- A: Set
graphvizPreview.dotExtraArgs configuration to
<ENGINE> is the desired