Futhark for Visual Studio Code
The language extension is still in the early stage of development
This extension adds language support for Futhark, powered by the Futhark Language Server.
- Warnings and errors diagnostics from futhark compiler
- Information on hover
- Syntax highlighting
- Go to definition
- Basic language features, e.g. comment toggling, etc
- More to come...
Here are some questions that users may encounter while using the extension, if your issue is not addressed here, please open an issue.
Can't find futhark executable ...
Futhark language extension requires futhark executable to be installed in $PATH, follow the instructions on how to install the Futhark compiler.
Futhark version is too low ...
The Futhark Language Server is available as part of futhark from version
0.21.9 and later, please update futhark following Installation guide. You can run
futhark --version to check your futhark's version.
Here are some resources to help you get started with developing the futhark extension:
You will need nodejs and vscode installed.
git clone https://github.com/diku-dk/futhark-vscode.git
cd futhark-vscode && npm install
- Open the futhark-vscode repository with VS Code
- Find the Run and Debug from the Activity Bar on the left, select the Launch Extension launch configuration, and press the Start Debugging button to launch an additional Extension Development Host instance of VS Code that executes the extension code. (More information on how to debug with vscode can be found here.)
- Create a
test.fut file in the root folder write some code!
The futhark-vscode repository consists of many files and folders, here are some of the most interesting ones:
.vscode/: development settings for vscode, such as debugging configuration and recommended extensions
assets/: contains the asset files for the marketplace, such as the logo
src/: the source code for the extension
.vscodeignore: used to exclude files from being included in your extension's package (more here)
language-configuration.json: the language configuration file for the extension
futhark.tmLanguage.json: the TextMate grammars configuration for the futhark language
package.json: the extension manifest
Github Actions publish-vscode-extension and action-gh-release are enabled for easy deployment of the extension. To publish a new release, simply follow the steps below:
- Change the version in the
package.json to the new one (e.g.
- Tag the new version by running
git tag vx.y.z (Note: tag must start with v)
- Push your changes and tags to the remote repository
git add package.json
git commit -m "x.y.z"
git push && git push --tags
TBA: More information about how to publish, e.g. creation of Personal Access Token, etc. (source)