This extension adds a new search functionality that presents your results in a full window. This approach is borrowed from Sublime Text, many Emacs modes, and various other common editors.
- Displays search results in an editor window, rather than the sidebar
- Results link to the matching file at the correct line
- Shows context lines around the line matching your query
- Syntax highlighting based on the most common file type found in your search results
- Integrates with File Explorer so you can easily search in specific folders
How to Use
Once you've installed the extension, you can take it for a spin:
- Hit Cmd + P and type to find "Better Seach: Quick Find" and hit enter to run the command
- In the search buffer, type
enter on one of the links (file name or column number) to go to a file
- To re-run the current search, type
g or run
betterSearch.searchFull if you'd like to run a search with more control over the execution options.
betterSearch.context: Number of context lines to show around search results. Default: 2
betterSearch.sortFiles: Sort files for deterministic sort. Enabling this limits the search to 1 thread and will negatively impact performance.
Magnifying glass icon courtesy of icon lauk