Just Another Language (JAL) Visual Studio Code Extension README
JAL (Just another Language) is an open source programming language for 8 bit PIC microcontrollers.
It was originally created by Wouter Van Ooijen and later rewritten as JALV2 by Kyle York.
Current version of JAL compiler and libraries are maintained by Jallib team.
JAL had jaledit as its IDE for a long long time, almost from the begining of JALV2. It worked pretty well on Windows but was not updated since 2010.
Being its author I felt VSCode might be a pretty good IDE which can be extended using its extension framework.
Will try to implement all the features of jaledit in this extension.
Extremely fast loading/saving of the largest jal files
VSCode features like commenting, searching, file explorer
Git support within vscode
Builtin comparison tool
- Comments (-- & ;)
- Keywords (Control, Operator, Other)
- Constants (Language,Numeric,Other)
- Strings (Single/Double quote)
Intellisense, Code Snippets and Comment
Partial intellisense without language server
Build using User tasks.json
- Works on Windows and Linux
JAL compiler is required. You can download the compiler and libraries from http://www.justanotherlanguage.org/downloads/ or https://github.com/jallib/jallib
Configure Tasks to build the jal file (User Level)
- Copy the below json text to Clipboard.
- Press Ctrl-Shift-P.
- Type/select "Tasks:Open User Tasks".
- Select Others (Example to run arbitary command).
- In the opened tasks.json paste the text from clipboard.
- Close the tab and you are ready to compile the JAL file.
// prefilled tasks.json for compiling a JAL file
"label": "Compile JAL File",
You can configure the executable path and library path by going to VS Code preferences * Extensions -JAL
Paths with \ and \ both work.
Multiple library paths can be separated with ;
Opening include files,library files not possible unless file is in the same directory
* Two themes added to highlight syntaxes which were not differentiated by default VSCode themes.
* Changed Icon
* Added missing keywords
See the Change log for details about the changes in each version.