VS Code Octave Debugger
This extension provides debugging support for Octave code (might include Matlab code). This is done by interfacing with octave-cli via stdin/stdout. Do read the changelog to know what's new in this version. Though this is not necessary to use the extension, I still recommend the following language extensions for matlab and octave.
Octave Debugger This extension supports actions:
The following types are currently supported:
If a type isn't supported request it on the project repository.
If you want to edit the value of a variable be it scalar, array, or structure, you can double click on it in the VARIABLES view, and type in the new value. That expression will be evaluated and if successful the variable will be updated with the new value. You can also submit any command you like through the debug console as if it you were typing directly into Octave.
More information about debugging with Octave can be found here.
Using Octave Debugger
Project homepage and source available here. Please submit bugs there too.
I started this project back in December 2017 or January 2018, not quite sure anymore, when I was going through the exercises from the Andrew Ng's machine learning class. Also check these playlists Stanford Machine Learning, Caltech Learning from Data, Deep Learning tutorial, and there's plenty more from MIT and others.
Since I was really into vscode but unfortunately there was no octave debugger at the time, and since I have a long commute to work, I decided to use that time to develop this adapter. It kind of was an on and off development, but I would say that about 80% of it was done on the train while commuting to work. I really would like to thank Andrew and all the openclassroom and other similar projects (e.g. OpenCourseWare), and of course the people behind vscode. The best editor of its genre out there.
High-Level Description of Inner Workings
A debug session follows these steps
More information about vscode Debug Adapter Protocol can be found here DAP and the API, and information on publishing extensions can be found here. Funny fact, I noticed too late that the name of the plugin is not only spelled wrong but also it doesn't follow the expected "no caps and words separated by hyphens" pattern. :p