Versioning like a Boss - Semantic Versioner for Scripting Languages: Insert and Update Version, according to semver.org directives, Copyrights of file, Distribution License, and save-it using shortcuts.
Version Boss is an extension to keep the versions of script files up to date according to the semver.org directives (
Version Boss, using shortcuts, can:
- Insert and Update (step-up and step-down) File Version;
- Insert Copyrights infos in multiline comments(1) and other infos about Licensing and file stats;
- Easily switch between Licenses (and customize it in Settings).
Warning: Version Boss was tested with
PHP files but will be work on most of scripting languages: In future versions, I will try to refine the output for the various programming languages.
Version Boss Demo
Some recommendations before start using Version Boss
The extension is almost entirely customizable (
1), at least until sufficient feedback is available to eliminate unnecessary customizables settings.
It is good to leave the default settings, except for that which may cause conflicts with your code, and customize only:
- Version Boss » Copyrights » [all settings for this group].
Consider also setting :
- Version Boss » Settings » Set Variable Name For Copyrights Infos Associative Array;
- Version Boss » Settings » Auto Save After Step Up;
- Version Boss » Settings » Show Information Message;
- Version Boss » Settings » Copyrights » Owner (can be Author, Company or both);
- Version Boss » Settings » Copyrights » Set Licenses List (set the list of licenses, placing the one you use most in the first place);
- Version Boss » Settings » Semver Update On Pattern Match (
Better to prepare all the options before an active development, to be aware of possible conflicts.
Semver Update On Pattern Match can recognize any pattern similar to "
1.2.3456-beta.3) enclopsed in pair double-quote
" or pair single-quote
' (without spaces in between).
If you plan to use similar pattern in portion of your code, this may be in conflict with Sever Boss pattern recognition. In this case you can (one of them):
- limit step only to first occurence (Settings » Semver » Update On Pattern Match Only First:
- in your string add
any non digit char as first char (eg:
#1.2.3456-beta.3, useful if you maintain track of features/bug fixes in comments to code);
- disable Version Boss » Settings » Semver Update On Pattern Match.