Python Subclass Explorer
Python Subclass Explorer is a Visual Studio Code extension that helps developers navigate complex inheritance structures in Python codebases by displaying subclasses in a dedicated sidebar.
- Find Subclasses: Right-click on any Python class name and select "Get Subclasses" to see a tree view of all subclasses, across any depth of inheritance.
- Go to Definition: Click on any class in the subclass tree view to go directly to its definition in the source code.
- Workspace-Wide Search: Searches for subclasses throughout the entire workspace, not just the open files.
Install the Extension
- Open Visual Studio Code.
- Navigate to the Extensions view by clicking on the square icon on the sidebar, or by pressing
- Search for "Python Subclass Explorer".
- Click "Install".
Using the Extension
- Open a Python file with class definitions.
- Right-click on a class name.
- Select "Get Subclasses" from the context menu.
- The sidebar will populate with a tree view of all subclasses.
- Click on any subclass in the sidebar to open its definition in the editor.
This extension contributes the following settings:
pythonSubclassExplorer.includePrivate: Include private subclasses (those prefixed with
_) in the search results.
Reporting of issues is much appreciated. Please report any issues or bugs on the GitHub repository issues page.
Initial release of Python Subclass Explorer.
- Feature: Find and display subclasses in a tree view.
- Feature: Navigate to class definitions from the tree view.