View Adroid Logcat in VSCode
The extension enables you to view (filtered) logcat from android devices in VSCode.
It shows the output of adb logcat -v threadtime command in a 'new document' in VScode. The name of document is current timestamp.
The new docuemnt is created in a folder of your choice or %temp%\vslogcat folder.
If filter string has been specified adb logcat | findstr (egrep on linux) is executed.
Automatic support for regular expressions.
##Available Commands and shortcuts
- Logcat Start (ctrl+l ctrl+s): Start capturing the logcat
- Logcat End (ctrl+l ctrl+e): Stop capturing the logcat
- Logcat Clear (ctrl+l ctrl+c): Clear the existing logcat buffer in system.
##How To Use
- Press F1 and type command Logcat Start (ctrl+l ctrl+s) .
- You will see an input box. Type the semicolon delimited filter string there eg "fatal;exception"
- You can also use regular expressions.
- Press escape or enter and the logcat will strat streaming in the current document.
- To stop press F1 and type command Logcat End (ctrl+l ctrl+e).
- You can also save the logcat.
- "logcat.directory" : Specifies the folder path where logcat files will be created intially. If you don't specify this, the files will be created in %temp%\vslogcat folder.
- The command status is shown in status bar messages.
- Its a good practice to clear the logcat first using Logcat Clear command and then run the scenario. It will make sure you don't get unnecessary spew in your logcat.
- The file is already created on system, you can just press save anytime to save logcat and retrieve it later.
- adb should be installed on your system.
- adb should be added in PATH environment variable.
- You can find plenty of information on how to do above on the internet.
##Feedback and Bugs
Please log issues at https://github.com/agrabhi/logcat/issues
Please dont forget to Rate this extension.
##How to update
Launch the VS Code Command Pallete - Ctrl+P - and type the command ext update logcat
For more info visit https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/editor/extension-gallery#_update-an-extension
My other extensions:
- Improved auto scrolling and bug fixes.
- The document created will have a name of current timestamp.
- The document will be created in a folder of your choice or %temp%\vslogcat folder if none specified.
- bug fixes.
- Now you can filter the incoming logcat stream using semicolon delimited keywords.
- AutoScroll implemented
- Changed the command to include threadtime in logcat
- Now display the list of devices as well before capturing the logcat.