This extension provides the same functionality that currently exists in Visual Studio 2015 for Visual Studio Installer projects. To use this extension, you can either open the Extensions and Updates dialog, select the online node, and search for "Visual Studio Installer Projects Extension," or you can download directly from this page.
Once you have finished installing the extension and restarted Visual Studio, you will be able to open existing Visual Studio Installer projects, or create new ones.
The documentation is available here: https://aka.ms/vdproj-docs
For modern deployment targeting Windows 10 you can also use the Windows Packaging Project to create APPX and/or MSIX packages.
NOTE: This extension is designed to work with Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio 2019. You can download a version of this extension compatible with Visual Studio 2015 here.
What's new in 0.9.6
- (VS 2019 only) Updating default .NET framework version used in prerequisites and launch conditions
- Fixing a crashing bug
What's new in 0.9.5
- Fixing various accessibility issues
- Some improvements to the .NET Core publish profile support added in the previous version
- Fixing bug with file extension when generating multiple cab files
- Additional bug fixes
What's new in 0.9.4
- Fixing accessibility issues in generated installers
- Adding new support .NET Core 3 scenarios. The output of .NET Core 3 projects should be consumed using "PublishItemsOutputGroup" instead of "Primary Output". There's also a new "PublishProfilePath" field in the properties window when "PublishItemsOutputGroup" is selected which allows for the creation of self contained .NET Core 3 installers. More details to come.
What's new in 0.9.3
- Fixing a potential out of memory error when building
What's new in 0.9.2
- 64bit custom action support requires Opt-in for each custom action
What's new in 0.9.1
- Support custom actions targeting x64
- Support SDK Style Projects (e.g. ASP.NET Core)
What's new in 0.9.0
- Support for Visual Studio 2019 and Visual Studio 2017
- Fix an OutOfMemory exception when including large files as part of the setup
What's new in 0.8.8
- Fix an issue with RegCap.exe to capture COM registry information
- Fix default IIS detection on Win10
What's new in 0.8.7:
What's new in 0.8.6:
- Fixes an issue in the Setup Wizard.
What's new in 0.8.5:
- Fixes an issue with the latest Visual Studio updates where the MSI creation failed with the error "No such interface supported".
What's new in 0.8.4:
This version solves the following issues:
- Solves Lightweight Solution Load issues
- Updated literals that were using bad encoding
- Avoid crashes with specific project types
We have addressed the following isuses in this update:
- Property Dialog available on right clicking the project file.
- Adding a helper tool to enable command line builds using Visual Studio 2017. You can run the executable located in \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\VSI\DisableOutOfProcBuild to easily configure your Visual Studio 2017 environment.