The Microsoft Dynamics AX Build Tools for Visual Studio Team Services or Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2015 Update 2 (or higher) allows you to automate all necessary steps to deploy your Customizations from Development through Test and Staging to Production.
With the Microsoft Dynamics AX Build Tools you get more than 35 custom-tailored Build steps from Compile AOT to Deploy Enterprise Portal which can be summarized in the following categories:
- Work with AX server, database and configuration files
- Work with AX model and model store (Import, Export, ...)
- Work with AX Build (Compile X++)
- Work with AX Client (Compile X++, Compile CIL, Unit Testing, ...)
- Work with XPO-Files (Combine XPO, ...)
- Work with Enterprise Portal (Deploy, ...)
- Work with Reports (Deploy, ...)
Once automated, you can valuable your IT professionals again for other, more important activities, rather than perform the daily deployment. The execution is then either completely timed or manually via one click in the Azure Devops web interface.
Important: This Version is for Azure Devops and TFS 2017 or newer. You can get an another Version for TFS 2015 Update 2/3 here.
Supported AX versions
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 FP
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2
- Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3
- Dynamics 365 for Operations (VMs)
Don't waste time to get started
You can initialize predefined Build and Release templates for a team project through the administration page.
Full list of supported build steps
Please visit the documenation to see a full list: Microsoft Dynamics AX Build Tools
Easy configuration by using server or client configuration file (*.axc) in the build steps
The logs are reported to Build summary
The following logs are parsed:
- X++ compile log
- IL compile log
- Database synchronisation log
- Autorun file log
Run unit tests and upload to Azure Devops/TFS (without any X++ code changes!)
All build steps are completely PowerShell based
Have I piqued your interest? Do you missed a important build step? Want to get the the Microsoft Dynamics AX Build Tools for Team Foundation Server?
Please feel free to contact me anytime!
Some images/icons are designed by Freepik
Version 2.0.31 or higher
- Fixed: Support for deployment groups
Version 2.0.30 or higher
- Changed: Updated screenshots
- Changed: New azure piplines task library is in use now
Version 2.0.24 or higher
- Fixed: AX Build step "Client - Execute autorun xml file" ends successed without doing anything
Version 2.0.23 or higher
- Fixed: Create build templates through administration page now working again (uses newer api version now)
Version 2.0.18 or higher
- Fixed: AOS Server start action throws an exception if the service is already starting
Version 2.0.17 or higher
- Fixed: Model database not found in Microsoft Dynamics AX R2 versions
Version 2.0.11 or higher
- Fixed: Some Microsoft Build Steps hasn't found anymore when using the Build templates
Version 2.0.10 or higher
- Changed: New IDs for all Build Steps to remove conflicts with TFS 2015 AX Build Tools Version
- Added: New option "No Error on empty result" to the Build Step "AX Client - Import VS project" added.
- Added: Support for Dynamics 365 for Operations (VMs) - Alpha Version(!) - Do not use the new Build Steps in Production or Important environments! Please give feedback...
Version 2.0.7 or higher
- Added: New option "Flush label cache" to the Build Step "AX Client - Import ALD" added.
Version 2.0.6 or higher
- Changed: Set tasks working directory to $currentDirectory
Version 2.0.4 or higher
- Added: Usage tracking (anonymous)
Version 2.0.3 or higher
- Updated: Preparation for TFS "15"
Version 1.0.70 or higher
- Updated: License validation improvements
Version 1.0.64 or higher
- Added: New option "Direction" to the Build step "AX 2009 - Copy Files" added. You can now copy the AX binaries from AX to a file share.
- Added: New Build step "AX Server - Get path" - Use this to export a AX path to a variable. (for example: Use with "Publish Artifact")
- Updated: Build template "AX 2009 - Build" now uses the new build step "AX Server - Get path" and the Build step "Publish Artifact"
- Removed: Hotfix for REST call issue since 2016-05-06 - Microsoft fixed the issue
Version 1.0.57 or higher
- Build template "AX Database - Backup/Restore" added
- Build template "AX 2009 - Build" added
Version 1.0.44 or higher
- Add Microsoft Dynamics AX Build Tools - Build and Release templates through administration page to a team project. (Currently one template, more coming soon...)
- Fixed: Scroll issue on Microsoft Dynamics AX Build Tools administration page
Version 1.0.31 or higher
- Hotfix for REST call issue since 2016-05-06 - (default) collection name not included correctly in $ENV:SYSTEM_TEAMFOUNDATIONCOLLECTIONURI anymore (Microsoft breaking change)
Version 1.0.30 or higher
- New option to delete all AX database sync log files before synchronisation of the AX database starts added.
Version 1.0.28 or higher
- Build step "Windows - Service action" added (useful example: DIXF/DMF + Retail services)
- Fixed: A customer reported issues with AXBUILD.exe that the Ax32Serv.exe could not be found. It is an issue of AXBuild.exe. To overcome the issue the working directory will now set to aos binaries directory.
- Fixed: Now all services action will done if you define multiple service names on Build step "AX Server AOS action" instead of only the first service multiple times.
Version 1.0.22 or higher
Version 1.0.18 or higher
- Fixed: Creation and expiration date are now datetime fields for chrome-support
Version 1.0.17 or higher
- Fixed: An error was thrown if no synchronisation log files exists after database synchronisation finished without errors
Version 1.0.16 or higher
- Build step "AX Enterprise Portal - Deploy" added
Version 1.0.5 or higher
- Fixed an error on build step execution in release definitions
Version 1.0.0 or higher
- Microsoft Dynamics AX Build Tools are now RTW
- You could now download and use the extension with TFS 2015 Update 2 or higher
- Build step "AX Database - Backup/Restore" added
- Build step "AX Client - Run code" added (execute a menu item, static method of class, job to run your custom requirements within AX)
- "Remove indexes" option added to Build Step "AX 2009 Files - Copy"
- Licensing added
- Please activate the extension through the administration page
- Please enable "Allow Scripts to Access OAuth Token" under options of your build definition. This is required to validate the license.
- You could try the extension for 30 days without any costs
Version 0.2.76 or higher
- Administration page added as preview (still under development)
Version 0.2.45 or higher
- Build step "AX Client - Run unit tests" added
Version 0.2.35 or higher
- Support for AX 2009 added
- Build step "AX 2009 - Copy Files" added
- Build step "AX 2009 - Delete Files" added
- ToDos will not handled as errors on build anymore - Please readd the "AX 2012 Build - Execute" build step on your build definitions
Version 0.2.10 or higher
- more debug informations added
- fixed reading configuration from registry
- Important: Please readd "AX 2012 Model Store - Set install mode" in your build definitions. Some parameter values have been changed.
- Export default configuration from an AOS with multiple configurations error fixed
- IL log now analysed correctly
- Some small bugfixes
- Background changes for AX 2009 support
- Support for AX 2012
- First release to public