Qodana Extension for Visual Studio Code
The Qodana extension shows inspection reports generated by Qodana after running in CI/CD pipelines, enabling you to fix
problems in your project codebase. It connects and synchronizes your project with Qodana reports uploaded to
Qodana Cloud, and showcases the latest code quality problems detected in your project. You can view
them directly in the editor, or toggle to the PROBLEMS tab to see them in a list.
To use the extension, you need to run Visual Studio Code version 1.81 and later.
The following prerequisites also apply:
- You have a Qodana Cloud account and a project in it. If necessary, navigate to Qodana Cloud to complete these steps.
- You have run Qodana over your project at least once, and the generated report has been uploaded to your Qodana Cloud project.
- The source code of the project has been opened in a Visual Studio Code workspace.
- There is a Java binary on your system path (JRE 11 or higher is required). You can check it by running the
java -version command in the Terminal.
Prepare your project
- In Visual Studio Code, open your project as a workspace.
- In your browser, open Qodana Cloud and navigate to your project.
- In Qodana Cloud, click the Open file in Visual Studio Code button from the dropdown selector under any issue found in the project.
- In the lower-right corner of the Visual Studio Code UI, follow the Qodana Cloud login instructions.
- In Qodana Cloud, navigate to the project report and click Open file in Visual Studio Code.
- View the Qodana reports in your Visual Studio Code editor.
- In Visual Studio Code, navigate to the Settings page and find the Qodana configuration settings.
- On the Settings page, in the Project ID field, enter the Qodana Cloud project ID. To locate this ID, open your
project in Qodana Cloud. The URL will have the following format:
- Follow the instructions to log in to Qodana Cloud.
If you still can’t view a report, in Visual Studio Code go to the Settings page and adjust the Path Prefix value.
The basic rule is:
Full Path = Workspace + Path Prefix + Path in SARIF
Here are some examples how to define the correct path prefix:
||Path in SARIF
||(empty, no value)
To see how the
Path in SARIF is set in the project, in Qodana Cloud, navigate to the Files section located
beneath the sunburst diagram.
Feel free to commit
.vscode/settings.json in your repository to share the Qodana integration settings with your team!
You can perform several actions in Visual Studio Code:
- To disconnect from Qodana Cloud, use the
Qodana: Reset authentication command
- To reset the extension settings, use the
Qodana: Reset settings command
- To temporarily disable the extension, in the status bar, click Qodana
Data and telemetry
The Qodana extension for Visual Studio Code is enhanced with telemetry functionality to collect valuable data on how you use
the extension. Importantly, no project-specific or personal data is collected. The items logged, which exclusively use
predefined string literals, include the following events:
Extension Start and Stop
Opening the Report from Qodana Cloud
Opening a File Using URL from Qodana Cloud
Turning Off/On Displaying the Issues from Qodana Cloud
Predefined Error Messages
The telemetry information increases the efficiency of the extension by making usage data available for improvements.
Logging is performed using the recommended API by the extension authors.
As we respect your privacy, we provide the option to opt out of telemetry data collection. You can revoke consent by
uninstalling the extension or switching the
telemetry.telemetryLevel setting in Visual Studio Code to
This information helps us better understand your needs to enhance the functionality and user experience of the Qodana
extension for Visual Studio Code while keeping your data private and secure. Your feedback is always appreciated!
Questions, issues, or feedback?
All issues, feature requests, and support inquiries related to Qodana should be submitted to YouTrack.
To file a new issue, please follow this link: YouTrack | New Issue. Additionally, you can use
GitHub Discussions to ask questions or provide feedback.
Copyright © 2000-2023 JetBrains s.r.o.
This software is licensed under the Apache License Version 2.0.