FREE: This extension enhances Azure Boards with cross-Project Roadmaps!
The standard version of Portfolio++™ allows users to show how their work rolls up to Epics and Features in Gantt Chart style views across Projects.
Portfolio++™ processes an Epic's work-items and shows when 'the work' is happening by Iteration Path or by date. Portfolio++™ also provides quality assurance metrics, on the 'Epic Status' tab.
If you would like our help building Roadmaps, please visit our Microsoft DevOps Consulting Services page here.
New Pro Feature! Portfolio Kanban!
The Portfolio Kanban view shows the process ‘states’ that an Epic, Feature or User Story/PBI is in as it goes from creation through completion.
PAID: Upgrade to Portfolio++ Pro™, and add Features built for Program and Project Managers. For example, a Portfolio Kanban view, or the ability to add Milestones and Dependencies to your Roadmaps. These features help Teams communicate and plan more effectively across Programs and Projects. Portfolio++ Pro™ features are available on a subscription basis.
NOTE: At this time, Portfolio++ Pro™ is offered on a Trial basis. After 28 days, you will need to purchase a Paid Subscription either for an individual ($10 USD/month) or for your Organization ($200 USD/month). Please contact us at email@example.com for information regarding purchase plans.
|Create Roadmaps Across Projects
|Filter and Show Epic / Feature Timelines
|Drill-through to Boards from any View
|Epic Status for Quality Assurance
|Supports Agile, Scrum, and CMMI Process Templates
|Supports Custom Work Items
|Shows Tags on Work Items
|Filter Work Items, Types, Dates and save Views
|Print .PNG Snapshots
|Show Dependencies (Predecessors, Successors)
|Set Roadmap Epic Order
|Drill into Card Metrics
|Include/Exclude cross-project work items queries
Screenshots of Portfolio++™!
Create a Roadmap
Define your Roadmap
Filter your Views
Metric Options: show Story Points, Item Counts, Tags, Dependencies (Pro)
Set Date Range
Epic Status - Quality Check
Screenshots of Portfolio++™ Pro Features!
Set Project & Epic Sort Order
Metric Options: Use Cross-Project Queries
Requirements for Use
- 'Manage Extensions' Permission is required to install Portfolio++™
- Portfolio++™ requires Azure DevOps Services, Azure DevOps Server 2020 or Azure DevOps Server 2019 Update 1
- Users need Analytics permissions please refer to this document.
- Azure DevOps Organization settings for Boards/Process should be Agile, Scrum, or CMMI.
- Pro Installation: If you are trying to purchase a Pro license and you are unable to reach the subscription purchase screen, it is likely that your firewall is blocking our license validation services. Please allow access to the following resource "https://prod.ppp-pro.com/api"
Recommendations (Roadmaps work better when...)
- Generally, we advise that you refrain from "nesting" Epics; i.e. Epics that are children of Epics. You lose the ability to show the hierarchy, as all Epics are shown 'at the same level' in the Roadmap view.
- For capacity planning purposes, and other project health insights, Backlog items should have Points or Hours for capacity planning purposes.
- XML Process templates (generally) do not work. We recommend upgrading.
- Cross-Project Queries is not supported in Azure DevOps 2019 Server. We recommend upgrading.
- Cross-Project Queries will not count Work-items in other Projects that are of types undefined in the querying Project's Process Template.
- Roadmap work-item visibility is managed through Azure DevOps Organization Settings, User Roles, Team affiliations, and Project Area access permissions. Basically, we inherit your Microsoft security. Therefore, if you can see the work-itmes in your Project Areas, then you will see them in your Roadmap.
- For work-items to be counted, they must be parented-up to a Portfolio level Work-item, e.g. Epic, or equivalent custom Work-item type.
- Roadmaps can access Projects within an Organization, but cannot access Projects across Organizations.
- In the Filter Menu, when 'Views Mode' is set to ‘Manual’, Roadmaps require that each Epic and Feature’s Start Date and Target Date be defined, or be in an Iteration Path with start and stop dates defined.
- In the Filter Menu, when 'Views Mode' is set to ‘Generated’, Roadmaps require that at least one Epic or Feature’s 'child' work-item has been pulled into an Iteration, in order for the Epic for Feature to show in the Roadmap.
- ADO 2019 pre-Update 1 is not supported. We recommend upgrading.
- XML Process templates do not work. We recommend upgrading.
- Cross-Project Queries is not supported in Azure DevOps 2019 Server. We recommend upgrading.
- We believe that Azure DevOps 2019 Update 1 works, with two known issues. However, we do recommend that you upgrade to Azure DevOps 2020, or Azure Services. If you cannot, and you continue to have problems, please let us know by sending an email to info@iTrellis.com.
- "Hosted XML" - At this time, the Hosted XML Process Template is not supported. This Process Template type does not provide the API function that Portfolio++™ relies on. When you migrate your Hosted XML to the Inheritance Process, you will be able to use Portfolio++™ in Azure DevOps. Please reference the Microsoft documentation for the process upgrade guidance.
- "Large Projects" - Portfolio++ is impacted by a known issue with large Projects, e.g. our queries cannot return more than 10,000 work items at a time due to a limitation in the Azure DevOps Analytics API.
Documentation and Help
Release Notes and new Feature requests
We are actively iterating on this project, and we greatly appreciate the feedback we have received from this community. We continue to release new features, and your feedback helps us prioritize our work. Please help us by submitting bug and feature requests. We have received some great suggestions for improvements from this community, many of which are reflected in the updates below.
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5513: Resolve issue with Portfolio Kanban not calculating completed status correctly for Scrum process type
- 5425: Resolve issue with VisualStudio.com users who cannot access Azure Devops Analytics service
- 5424: Bug Fix - Requirements level tags not showing on Kanban Board
- 5143: As a Portfolio++ Pro User I want to see my Portfolio in a Kanban Board
- 5310: Show XML Process Template Warning
- 5054: As a Portfolio++ Pro™ User I want to be able to include cross project work items in my metrics
- 4691: As a Portfolio++ Pro™ User I want to be able to click on the card metrics to see all the associated work items
- 5106: As a user I want to be able to click on the Project card title to navigate to the project backlog
- 5102: As a user I want the Backlog Epic/Feature Timeline to load quicker
- Bug Fixes
- 4924: As an Azure DevOps Server user, I want the ability to purchase a Portfolio++ Pro™ subscription.
- 4463: As a user, I want to manage my Portfolio++ Pro™ subscription and transactions through the customer self-service management portal.
- 4558: As a Portfolio++ Pro™ User, I want my custom Epic Sort Order to remain when I add or remove Epic from my Roadmap selection.
- 4526: As a user, I want to receive a warning message if the Analtyics feature is not enabled or if I do not have permission to access Analytics views.
- Added Portfolio++ Pro™ features:
- Custom Project/Epic Sort Order
- Dependency Management
- Milestone Management
- Fixed issue when printing Roadmap that was showing left-hand column cards titles as blank or awkwardly truncated.
- 3638: As a user, I want to be able to switch from showing progress on Roadmap and Feature Timelines bars from counts, to percent complete
- Refactoring: Fix miscellaneous UI bugs
- 3153: As a user, I want to be able to see my 'Tags' on my Roadmap and Timeline cards (progress bars)
- 3158: As a developer, I need to refactor our timeline views to show the tags on the Roadmap and Timeline cards
- 3370: As a user I want to be able to share my Roadmap with others, and 'Lock' it to limit the ability to edit the Roadmap
- 3408: As a user I want a filter bar menu to save filter selections + view preferences as "saved views"
- Refactoring: Fix issue for Azure Devops Server installations where the port number is not being included in the dynamically generated analytics queries
- Fixed an issue where searching for Epics in the Roadmap Settings panel was causing duplicate Epics to be displayed in the list
- 3274: As a user I would like to see Portfolio++™ in the Hub Groups in the side navigation so I do not have to open my Boards Hub to view Portfolio++™
- 3139 - As a user I want to be able to add custom Epic types to my Roadmap
- 3144 - As a user I want to be able to view custom Epics and Feature types in my Roadmaps
- 3505: Show Features in Generated View Mode if they are in an Iteration Path. No longer required to have subordinate work items in Iteration Paths to be visible
- Refactoring: View Framework and Query Parsing / Performance improvements for large Projects
- Fixed an issue where Epics are not filtering by Project under Project Settings
- Improved error handling for Work Items where Title is empty in Project Settings
- 2370: As a user I want to be able to print roadmaps, epic status, feature timelines from Portfolio++™
- 2797: As a user I want to filter what is shown in my timeline by setting a date range
- 3094: As a user I want Portfolio++™ to add support for virtual directory
- 3045: As a user, I want to be able to view the Epic/Feature timeline as a tab in the Team's backlogs view
- 3023: As a user I want to be able to use Portfolio++™ with the Scrum Process Template
- 3015: As a user, I want Portfolio++™ to add support for Azure Devops Server 2019
- 3028: As a user, I want Portfolio++™ to add browser support for Edge 44 and later releases
- 2731: As a user, I want the Roadmap Directory to use familiar Azure Devops Projects page layout and behavior
- 2738: As a user, I want to mark Roadmaps I created as private so only I can see them
- 2671: As a user, I want to understand the EULA and Privacy Statement for Portfolio++™
- 2662: As a user, I want to use standard forward and backward browser navigation in the extension
- 2765: As a user, I don’t want to see cards behind the headers when scrolling vertically
- 2806: As a user, I want Roadmap views and Epic Status to load faster
- 2811: As a user, on the Epic Status tab, I do not want to see a green check indicator on “empty Epics”
- 2806: As a user I want the Timeline and Epic Status views to load faster
- 2811: As a user I don't want to see a green check next to the Epic if there are no child work items defined
- 2765: As a user I don't want to see the cards in the Timelines behind the headers when scrolling vertically
- 2895: As a user, I want to see the User Story Modal utilize the maximum width of the screen.
- 2662: As a user I want to be able to use standard browser navigation in the extension