Note: - If you are using Visual Studio 2012 RC or RTM, then use the updated version of test scribe fromhere.
Test Scribe is a documentation power tool designed to construct documents directly from the TFS for test plan and test run artifacts for the purpose of discussion, reporting etc.
Test Scribe needs to be installed as an add-on power tool to Microsoft Test Manager (MTM) which is included in Visual Studio 11 Ultimate, Visual Studio 11 Premium and Visual Studio 11 Test Professional Editions. Download Test Scribe and run the setup on the machine where MTM is installed.
Note: This release of “Test Scribe for Visual Studio 11 Beta” supports only Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Beta and Visual Studio 11 Premium Beta editions; it does not work with Visual Studio 11 Test Professional Beta. This issue will be fixed in subsequent version of Test Scribe.
Launch Microsoft Test Manager and connect to a particular test plan. Select the “Tools” center by picking Tools from the drop down as shown below:
Figure 1.0 – The “Tools” center installed as part of Microsoft Test Manager
From the “Test Plan Summary” section, you can select a particular test plan, right click and select “Generate”. This will generate a document for the selected test plan. The generation time will vary depending on the connection speed, amount of data and machine configuration. The output document will contain (among other things) the test plan details, the suite hierarchy and the set of test cases with test steps inside each test suite.
From the “Test Run Summary” section, you can select a particular test run in the connected test plan, right click and select “Generate” to create a document for the selected test run. The output document will contain the test run details with pie charts displaying test outcomes and test failure analysis.
What’s new in this release
This release includes support for the following:
1. Enables support for connecting to Team Foundation Server 11 Beta and Team Foundation Server Hosted to generate the Test Plan Summary or Test Run Summary report.
2. Fixes the following set of reported issues
a. Fixed some crash issues.
1. Customizing the generated report by changing the template, adding comments, including attachments etc. is not supported
2. While opening a test plan summary document in Office 2007, if you get the warning: “The file Test Plan Summary cannot be
3. Generated documents are stored by default in the “My documents” folder. The output path of the generated report cannot be modified.
4. Exporting word documents for individual test suites or test cases in a test plan is not supported.
5. Test Scribe for Visual Studio 11 Beta supports only Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Beta and Visual Studio 11 Premium Beta editions; it does not support Visual Studio 11 Test Professional Beta. This will be fixed for future releases.