H3Viewer by The Helpware Group
Replace the VS 2010 help viewer or run stand-alone. The viewer is free for personal use. Contact us if you need to distribute it.
See the H3Viewer Home Page | Change Notes
Version 1.21 (build 118)
- 16-Nov-2011, 1.20 build 113
- When F1 is pressed in VS 2010, if the URL we receive has an &LCID= parameter but no &Locale= we now append the equivalent &locale= to the end of the URL. This is what the MS SP1 help viewer does and this helps a user with a dysfunctional installation.
- 30-Oct-2012, 1.20 build 115
- Ctrl+Left = Focus the Navigation control
- Ctrl+Right=Focus the Document browser control
- 13-Mar-2013, 1.20 build 116
- Address bugs when accessing MS Speech API.
- Added H3Viewer.ini switch AllowSpeech=n to switch off access
- 16-Mar-2013, 1.20 build 117
- Added extra debug for user reported bug.
- 29-Aug-2013, 1.21 build 118/119
- Update to Japanese translation.
- Update to Traditional Chinese translation.
- Added "Filters" tab translation
See all Change Notes
- Similar experience to VS 2005\2008 DExplore.
- Full TOC with TOC Sync.
- Full Index. Modes: Load full Index; Load partial list (fast load).
- Text-to-Speech reader.
- Full bookmark support.
- Set default viewer for VS 2010.
- Option: Open F1 help in a new page tab.
- View different MSDN language catalogs.
- UI Translations available (see below).
- Direct link to equivalent MSDN online page.
- Open current page in selected browser.
- Uses catalogs to filter content.
Now translated into 14 languages + English.
- Pages without style & broken links
If you find pages are not showing style correctly and some links are not working then it probably means you have the Help Viewer power toy Beta installed. Uninstall this and it will immediately return to normal. Also remember to stop the Agent tray application.
- Freezes -- We think we have fixed the random application freezes in build 188.8.131.52. If you still experience hangs please let us know.
Full TOC same as DExplore in VS 2002\2003\2005\2008. The TOC is built as you expand nodes.
Notice the pink folders? These are orphan help branch not attached to the main VS 2010 TOC. Use TOC Sync command to add orphans if found.
Inline Index disambiguator. Load full Index (VS 2008 style) or partial load as you type (see Index right-click menu).
Full bookmark support for Help Viewer URLs.
A filter page allows you to edit catalogs (add\remove content). You can then use catalogs like filters.
View the equivalent online content in whatever language and format you want.
Here we've downloaded Russian help (vs\100\ru) using VSHelpDownloader. Press F1 in VS 2010 to display the topic in whatever language is loaded.