If you receive a message about disabling this extension, please disregard. If you click “Disable this extension”, Analysis Services projects will no longer load. You will need to re-enable the extensions through Extensions and Updates.
New in the October 8th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Projects (VSIX Update 2.9.2):
- Fixed an issue that would prevent being able to open SSIS projects.
- Added support for 1500 compatibility level which includes calculation groups and many to many relationships. More details can be found on the blog post: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/ssdt-support-for-1500-compatibility-level/
- Improved performance while editing inside the diagram view.
- Fixed various crashes and hangs.
- Updated PowerQuery components and Mashup engine to SU09
If you encounter any issues with this latest release, you can get the previous release at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2106417
New in the September 20th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Projects (VSIX Update 2.8.19):
- Fixed an issue where editing expressions would throw a nullable object error in Power Query UI in Tabular models.
- Fixed issues related to a regression in .NET 4.8 that causes crashes in Visual Studio.
- Fixed an issue where DAX functions would show syntax errors in the DAX editor.
- Fixed an issue where there was a hang on deployment in Tabular models.
New in the September 12th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Projects (VSIX Update 2.8.18):
- Fixed an issue where trying to get data from an Analysis Services server would throw an "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.PowerBI.AdomdClient'" error.
- Fixed an issue where an AS Connection in SSIS could not connect to Azure Analysis Services.
- Updated PowerQuery components and Mashup engine to SU08 (for 1400 compatibility-level models)
- Added a "Refresh Credential" menu item in 1400 compatibility-level models.
New in the July 19th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Projects (VSIX Update 2.8.17):
- Fix of a bug that may have prevented customers from creating or opening a tabular model in certain scenarios.
- Fix of a bug that may have caused Visual Studio to restart when importing data in tabular projects in some cases.
New in the July 10th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Projects (VSIX Update 2.8.15):
- Multiple performance improvements for deploying Analysis Services tabular 1400 models.
- Multiple performance improvements for loading larger-scale Multi-Dimensional projects.
- Fixed an issue that may have occurred when creating translations in tabular projects.
- Fixed an issue causing Metadata Permission error that occurred due to incorrect permissions being given to the “Read and Process” role.
New in the April 25th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Project (VSIX Update 2.8.14):
- Fix for a number of issues (regressions in multi-dimensional scenarios, crash viewing table properties in tabular and others) related to semantic versioning changes intended to decouple dependencies and improve the installation process without requiring each of the dependent BI extensions (AS\RS\IS) to be uninstalled first. There are a lot of complex scenarios here which took time to fully test, investigate and fix. We've heard your feedback and spent extra time on quality for the release.
- Preview support for Visual Studio 2019 There were a few known issues with VS2019 WinForm controls getting shifted\clipped due to regressions in VS2019 16.0 that have now been fixed in the VS2019 16.1 release. Please update VS2019, and report any additional issues you encounter so we can investigate for a future release, or forward to the VS team.
- Fix for an issue that resulted in widespread crashes in extensions using RichTextbox in Visual Studio 2019 caused by a regression in VS between the Preview builds and GA.
Changes in Previous Releases:
New in the March 26th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Project (VSIX Update 2.8.11):
- Fix for Table Properties dialog not displaying after clicking the menu item
- Fix for Visual Studio crashing when adding a member to a Multidimensional role
- Fix for not being able to add AAD Members to a role in a Tabular model
New in the March 19th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Project (VSIX Update 2.8.9):
- Improved update experience. Shared BI components used by AS\RS\IS SSDT projects are now semantically versioned to allow updating independently regardless if other packages still depend on a previous semantic version of the shared components. Users should no longer have to uninstall each of the AS\RS\IS pkgs manually before upgrading any one of them.
- Note: There still is a minimum VS2017 version of at least 15.7 required in order to install the AS\RS projects due to dependencies on the v15 SSDT relational components that were version-bumped up from v14 in that release)
- Fixed several instability issues using AS Tabular 1400 compatibility-level projects with Power Query that may have caused hangs, high memory consumption, memory leaks and\or crashes in Visual Studio
- Fixed a performance issue in AS Tabular projects using Power Query to import many tables
- Improved user feedback to show detailed progress during import of tables into AS Tabular models when using Power Query
- Fixed an issue when processing an AS Tabular model using Power Query that would appear to hang while validating data sources and credentials (performance improved and progress now displayed to improve experience)
- Fixed an issue that could cause the AS Tabular model Power Query editor to hang on import if partition path name was too long
- Fixed an issue in AS Tabular models Power Query editor when selecting "Close and Update without Processing" that made VS appear unresponsive until operation was complete
- Fixed an issue with AS Tabular models that caused right-click of a data source in model explorer to do extra work and appear to hang for larger models while the action finished
New in the February 27th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Project (VSIX Update 2.7):
- Fixed an issue in 1400 model where having a long query name (> 80 characters) could cause instabilities.
- Fixed an issue with tabular models where details of an auto sum measure were not visible until the designer was closed and reopened.
- Improved experience for users in 1400 models for errors while validating credentials with multiple data sources.
- Fixed an issue with 1400 models where validating an invalid partition query could sometimes show a spurious error.
- Fixed an issue with multi-dim models where sometimes a relationship on a calculated table would not be persisted in the model.
- Fixed an issue where hidden measures did not wrap correctly.
New in the February 15th, 2019 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Project (VSIX Update 2.6):
- We reverted code from version 2.5 that was causing issues with processing a multi-dimensional database/cube and hangs when validating credentials in a 1400 level tabular model. Fixes included in that version are currently not available. We are working on getting those fixes in an updated version that doesn't contain the regressions introduced in 2.5.
New in the October 5th, 2018 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Project (VSIX Update 2.2):
- Fix for error occurring when clicking on Aggregations tab in a Multidimensional project
New in the October 4th, 2018 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Projects (VSIX Update 2.1):
- Fix for AS Tabular projects for an issue where the measure grid is empty even though measures exist
- Fix for AS Tabular projects being unable to generate query for OData source
New in the September 27th, 2018 Release of Microsoft Analysis Services Projects (VSIX Update 2.0):
- Fixed an issue in the Partitions dialog for tabular models where the Table Preview button was disabled for tables imported by query
- Updated PowerQuery components, fixed an issue where merge operation may have failed with “Token semicolon expected"
- Fixed an issue that may have caused a hang to occur in certain cases when deploying a 1400 tabular model if discover_XML_metadata returned an error from the Analysis Services engine
RSS Feed for SSDT
Package includes support for Tabular and Multidimensional projects. After creating a new model project by using one of the templates, you can begin model authoring by using the designer tools and wizards included in the chosen project type. Among other things, you can import existing models from a server or from Power Pivot or start a new, blank model project.
Analysis Services modeling projects integrate with source control, such as Team Foundation Server and many third-party source control plug-ins. If you have configured Visual Studio to use source control, you can use check in/check out from Solution Explorer.
Visit https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/analysisservices/ for the latest information, tips, news, and announcements about Analysis Services directly from the product team.
Preview Release Candidate Builds
If you'd like to have early access to release candidate builds before they are published to the VS Gallery, we’re making available to give customers an opportunity to provide feedback prior to finalizing releases. To access the release candidate of the extensions in Visual Studio, you may do so by creating a “private gallery” and entering the following settings.
- Navigate to Tools > Options and then select Extensions and Updates under General.
- Under "Additional Extension Galleries", enter the following details:
- Name: Microsoft BI VSIX Preview
- URL: http://aka.ms/ProBI-VSIX
After entering these settings, your "Extensions and Updates" dialog will show updates for the extension when there is a new release candidate that you can install to provide feedback for a day or two before the VS Gallery VSIX is updated.
Provide feedback and report issues with this Vsix Package or Analysis Services modeling projects in general to: ProBIToolsFeedback@microsoft.com.