VSBackup is a Visual Studio extension for backing up and restoring a solution directory without having to leave Visual Studio. VSBackup is a very useful extension if you are not using any version control or if you are in the prototyping stage. This is not a substitute for source control. Take care of your code files. Only full backups are performed.
Version 9.3 of VSBackup has been released. Please take a look a the Release Notes section for a complete list of changes and the licensing section for licensing information and pricing.
All new development will occur in the Visual Studio 2022 version.
For the operation guide, go here.
To download the documentation, go here.
You can use the software for 30 days before you need to enter a license. At the end of the 30th day if you don't enter a valid license, backups can no longer be performed
The licensing for VSBackup is as follows:
$50 for an individual license.
$750 for a site license.
$1,500 for a company license
***** Looking for Beta Testers *****
Lonestar Softworx is looking for beta testers. If you become a beta tester, you will get a free license and an Amazon gift card. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com if you would like to be considered.
VSBackup uses Robocopy for the backup process. Please make sure that Robocopy.exe is located at the following location, ‘C:\Windows\System32’ before the backup operation.
- Contains all of the functionality found in version 8.0.1201.2023.
- Contains all of the items that are in 7.0.1054.2022. 8.0.1201.2023 was deprecated because of an issue with a DLL reference.
Added the ability to 'Pop-Out' the Exclusions treeview if more visibility is needed.
Added options to the settings to create a backup report. Either as a basic or verbose report.
The report can be saved.
Added the ability to add tags to a backup and search for backups that use those tag(s).
If the location for the data file backup is too long, the remaining characters will be represented by '...'
Added the ability to exclude files and directories from the backup process.
An item can be excluded from or included in a backup by selecting a menu command on the context-menu
for that item.
Added the ability to limit the number of backups to a specified amount or a specified number of days.
Replaced the calls to Robocopy with calls to RoboSharp, a wrapper for RoboCopy.
If a backup has a note, an icon will be displayed in the backups listing.
Internal code enhancements.
Added menu items for social media sites.
- Fixed issues with submitting a Problem Report and Feedback.
- Modified the purchase link.
- Fixed issues when submitting a Problem Report and Feedback.
- Fixed an issue with the backup location items not being set correctly.
- Fixed an issue that would cause an error message to be displayed when clicking the Report a Problem menu item.
Added the ability to add or delete a note on a backup.
Added the ability to filter the backups list by a date range.
Added the Options command to the VSBackup menu to take the user directly to the Options page for VSBackup.
Added the Help command to VSBackup menu to take the user to the documentation web page for VSBackup.
Enclosed the Backup operation in thread.
Added Backup location options.
Added Restore location options.
Redesigned the Settings form.
- Fixed an issue with the Install Targets being incorrect in the VSIX manifest file.
5.0.979.2021 - 11/22/2021
4.2.979.2021 - 11/07/2021
4.1.974.2021 - 11/01/2021
4.0.944.2021 – 09/13/2021
A context-menu is displayed when a Backup item is right-clicked.
Added Hard Delete, Soft Delete, and Restore commands to the backup item context menu.
Added a context-menu when the Backups area is right-clicked.
Added Refresh command to the Backups area context-menu.
Re-arranged and grouped menu items.
Added backup logic to Visual Studio events.
Added a toolbar with Hard Delete, Soft Delete, Restore, and Refresh buttons to the Backups toolwindow.
3.1.550.2021 – 06/01/2021
[FIXED]: Going to Tools --> Options --> VSBackup causes Visual Studio to Crash.
[FIXED]: The backup location is not saved.
[FIXED]: The License Key activation fails.
3.0.540.2021 – 05/07/2021
Added the ability to leave feedback, a suggestion, or give the extension a rating.
Backing up the data file manually or on a schedule has been added. Also, the ability to restore a data file backup has been added.
2.2.352.2021 – 04/03/2021
- [FIXED]: The name of the backup is the solution directory name instead of the solution name.
2.1.342.2021 – 04/01/2021
- Various UI enchantments and modifications.
2.0.340.2021 – 03/29/2021
- Various UI enchantments and modifications.
- If a backup is selected to be restored and if it does not exist, there is an option to remove it from the backup list.
- The ability to Zip (compress) a solution. A password for the Zip file can be set. Also, an option to Zip the solution when it is greater than a specified amount has been added.
- Sorting can now be performed on the Backup Date/Time and Name columns in the Backups list.
- An icon will appear next to the backup denoting the type of backup, directory or Zip.
- There is 30-day trial period of the extension. When the trial period ends, backups can no longer be performed.
- The format for the data file has changed.
188.8.131.521 – 01/21/2021
- [FIXED]: When the extension failed to load in Visual Studio 2017 due to an assembly reference issue.
184.108.40.2061 – 01/12/2021
- [FIXED]: When opening a solution in Visual Studio 2019 using the Open Recents dialog, the Visual Studio events
would not fire causing the backup settings and backups not to load. Nor could a backup profile
220.127.116.111 – 01/06/2021
18.104.22.1681 – 01/06/2021
Upgraded for Visual Studio 2019
22.214.171.1241 – 01/01/2021
- [FIXED]: When submitting a Problem Report, leaving a required field empty and then filling it in would result in a
loop when re-submitting the Problem Report
126.96.36.1990 – 12/24/2020