The ArcGIS Metadata Toolkit provides information and supports the following activities relating to the creation and management of metadata in ArcGIS Pro. Customization of the metadata experience in ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGlobe, and ArcScene is not supported by this toolkit.
- Change the pages included in the metadata editor, except for the Item Description page, which must be included.
- Change the values provided in drop-down lists in the metadata editor.
- Change the elements included in an existing metadata page, except for metadata elements that are required by ArcGIS software.
- Add a custom metadata element to a page and to the ArcGIS metadata format.
- Add a custom page to the metadata editor.
- Change the manner in which metadata is displayed.
- Change the manner in which metadata is imported and exported to ArcGIS items, for example, to support custom metadata content. For example, export an item's ArcGIS metadata to a standard XML format, or convert a standards-compliant metadata XML document to the ArcGIS metadata XML format and store the resulting content as an item's metadata.
- Change the validation rules associated with the content that can be provided in the metadata editor.
The ArcGIS Metadata Toolkit is not intended to be used for the following purposes.
- Change the manner in which ArcGIS software communicates with the metadata editor or an item’s metadata.
- Change the entire metadata editor to store content in a different XML format instead of storing content in the ArcGIS metadata format.
Read the Release notes to find out about enhancements, Issues resolved, Deprecations, and Known issues.