███████╗ ██████╗ █████╗ ███╗ ██╗
███████╗██║ ███████║██╔██╗ ██║
███████║╚██████╗██║ ██║██║ ╚████║
╚══════╝ ╚═════╝╚═╝ ╚═╝╚═╝ ╚═══╝
Security and License Scan is a free and open-source security audit tool for modern DevOps teams. With an integrated multi-scanner based design, Scan can detect various kinds of security flaws in your application and infrastructure code in a single fast scan without the need for any remote server! The product supports a range of integration options: from scanning every push via a git hook to scanning every build and pull-request in the CI/CD pipelines such as Azure DevOps Pipelines, GitHub actions and so on. Scan products are open-source under a GNU GPL 3.0 or later (GPL-3.0-or-later) license.
Use this extension to perform security scans locally in your desktop or the cloud workspace and visualize the scan results without leaving your IDE. Navigate to the source code and remediate the results by interacting with the scan results.
- One-click security scanning (SAST Based scanning)
- Navigation to the source location of the result
- Scan Results shows details about the result:
- Result info
- Run info
- Code flow steps
- macOS touch bar support
- Automatically launches after performing a scan or when the workspace contains .sarif files in reports directory
- Updates the Result Details Panel with the currently selected result in the Results List, Problems Panel, or in source code
- Manually open it by typing "ShiftLeft: View Results" in the Command Palette(Ctrl+P or ⌘+P) or using the hotkey (Ctrl+L then Ctrl+E)
- Install or upgrade Visual Studio Code. Requires version 1.41.0 or higher.
- Install the Scan Extension
- Reload VS Code
- Install Docker Desktop for performing Security Scan. Upon first scan, a container image called
shiftleft/scan will get downloaded which performs the scans locally.
- Perform a Security Scan by using the
Perform Security Scan option in the results window. Or in the Command Palette (Ctrl+Shift+p or ⌘+⇧+p) type "ShiftLeft: Security Scan" or use the hotkey (Ctrl+l then Ctrl+p)
- Results will show up on the Scan Findings panel
- Click the result you're investigating. The editor will navigate to the location
While working with large monorepo based repositories, configure the application root to limit the scanning to specific application directories. To do this, go to Preferences and search for "ShiftLeft". Specify the
App Root as shown below:
NOTE: This configuration can be specified for either the user or for the workspace. To set it for a particular workspace, choose the
Workspace tab in the above settings screen.
Developers behind scan are available on a dedicated discord channel for questions and support. For defects, raising an issue on GitHub is best.
- VS code version should be 1.41.0 or higher for the extension to install and work
- The user should be part of the
docker group on linux and mac. Please refer to the post install steps for your platform. Example below for linux.
sudo groupadd docker
sudo usermod -aG docker $USER
- Internet connectivity is required while loading the results for the first time. You might see the below error otherwise.
Unable to load schema from 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/oasis-tcs/sarif-spec/master/Schemata/sarif-schema-2.1.0.json': getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND raw.githubusercontent.com.
The extension uses parts of SARIF extension with a number of Scan specific enhancements.