MagicBell Ping VSCode Extension
Ping improves your workflow by pulling GitHub Notifications into VS Code. Stay in the know of critical operations, while filtering out the noise.
- 🔔 Get your GitHub notifications in VS Code.
- ❗️ Ping highlights failures and errors, eg. in your CI.
- 🧘🏽 Gain piece of mind by staying in the know, without getting distracted by the noise.
This is how Ping will look like in your editor:
Join the beta
This package is in beta and is subject to change. To connect it to your GitHub account, please follow the steps below.
💽 Installation (2 minutes)
Ping can be installed via the VS Code Marketplace
To give Ping access to your notifications, you will have to create a personal token.
- Navigate to your GitHub settings and click on "Developer Settings" in the bottom.
- Expand "Personal Access Token" and click on "Token Classic"
- Click on "Generate new token" on the upper left and select "Generate new token (classic)"
- Enable the "repo", "notification" and "read:user" scope
- GitHub shows you your new token. We will have to register it manually in our backend, please drop it in here.
- Open VS Code settings, search for Ping and insert your token there as well
After we set up the backend for you, Ping will synchronize your notifications into VS Code each 5 minutes. If you have any suggestions for features or would like integrations for other services please let us know here.
Ping comes with some handy shortcuts, so you don't have to lift your fingers off them keys'. To adjust, simply open your VS Code Keybindg settings.
- Node 18.9 or higher
- VSCode 1.73 or higher
To run Ping, you'll need to create a
.env.development file and fill in the fields as demonstrated in the empty
.env. Then, run
yarn in the repo root to install all dependencies, and
yarn start in to start all package builders in watch mode.
Testing the extension
Open Settings in VSCode, and search for "ping". Please enter:
- Ping: Api Key; Your MagicBell API Key
- Ping: User Hmac; Your MagicBell HMAC, which is a hash based on your GitHub username and the MagicBell project secret key.
- Ping: Username: Your GitHub username
It might be necessary to reload the window after changing the configuration.
Installing the extension locally
yarn build && yarn vscode:deploy:local.